Monday, February 18, 2008

Gardening with Beads

Dateline: Emerald Hills, 2/18/08

I really enjoy working with flower and fruit beads. When I was just getting started with beading, I went to a bead store in San Jose that was going out of business, and bought a bunch of fruit beads for half price. At the time I had no idea what I would do with them. Later I found, on YouTube of all places, instructions for making a crocheted necklace with wire and beads. (The video is from the Karla Kam, a great series of beading instructions by Karla of Auntie's Beads.) The necklace is made by stringing beads onto 3 strands of wire, crocheting each strand individually, then braiding the 3 strands together. Here's my first attempt:

Later I decided that this crocheted necklace would be a good use for my fruit beads:


I bought this fringe bracelet kit from Deanna's Vintage Styles at Stitches West in 2007. It's made by first stringing beads for the core, then weaving a variety of flower, leaf and seed beads into the core. I made several passes of weaving, completely hiding the core and giving the bracelet a nice density:


This is a different type of fringe bracelet. There is only one pass of weaving, so the core is not hidden, and the bracelet is less dense. I bought this kit at a bead store in Morro Bay:

No comments: